Maciej „Animek” Szczudrawa is the head coach of Akademia Fenix – BJJ Kraków.
He is also a certified CrossFit Instructor.
Animek teaches Gi classes for both beginners and advanced.
He is a first degree black belt in BJJ.
You have been training BJJ since …
Why did you start learning Brazilian jiu-jitsu?
– I have been doing martial arts since I was very young. It stared with Karate, Kung Fu, Capoeira and finally with BJJ, in which I fell in love from the very beginning.
What do you pay special attention to as a coach?
I try to approach each person individually, depending on their needs, so I can help the out as much as I can.
What gives you the most satisfaction as an instructor?
– Watching the development of my students, their successes and how they rise up after their failures. I love seeing how people evolve towards becoming better human beings.
If you could mention 3 people that influenced you way of fighting the most, who would it be?
– Rudolfo Vieira, Bernardo Faria, Caio Terra.
What’s your approach to fighting in BJJ?
– BJJ opens up many possibilities: competition (sports BJJ), MMA, self-defense. You can focus on one aspect or train so all three make sense together.
If you could give one tip to a beginner, it would be…
– Be patient and train, listen to your coaches and you will reach the black belt level. Everything has a beginning.
Favourite position: Side control.
Favourite choke: Bread slicer.
Favourite submission: Kimura.
Favourite quote: „The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” – Heraclitus.
Favourite movie: Blade Runner.
Favourite game: Witcher 3, mechwarrior online.
Favourite food: Pierogi.
Favourite drink: Green tea.
Hobby (besides bjj):
– Science, reading books, painting miniatures (wargaming), strength workout, yoga, listening to music and gaming.